Thirty-four member federal cabinet takes oath
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s 34-member federal cabinet has taken oath in a ceremony at President House.
The oath was administered by acting President Sadiq Sanjarani as President Arif Alvi has excused himself from administering the oath citing his ill health.
Three ministers of state and 31 federal minister took the oath. The cabinet comprises fourteen members from PMLN, nine from PPP, four from JUI-F, two from MQM-P, and one each from JWP and PML-Q.
BNP-Mengal's Akhtar Mengal refused to take oath in protest against the Chagi incident.
PPP's Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who was slated to become foreign minister, has not taken oath, though Hina Rabbani Khar has been sworn in a state minister.
The following details about federal minister have emerged so far. Portfolios are being notified and added to the list below.
Some of the minister have already taken charge of their ministries.
PAKISTAN MUSLIM LEAGUE-NAWAZ
1. Khawaja Muhammad Asif, MNA — Defence
2. Ahsan Iqbal Chaudhary, MNA — Planning and Development and Special Initiatives
3. Rana Sana Ullah Khan. MNA — Interior
4. Sardar Ayaz Sadiq, MNA
5. Rana Tanveer Hussain, MNA — Education and Professional Training
6. Khurrum Dastagir Khan, MNA —
7. Marriyum Aurangzeb, MNA — Information and Broadcasting
8. Khawaja Saad Rafique, MNA — Railways and Aviation
9. Mian Riaz Hussain Pirzada, MNA
10. Murtaza Javed Abbasi. MNA — Parliamentary Affairs
11. Azam Nazeer Tarar, Senator — Law
12. Miftah Ismail — Finance
PAKISTAN PEOPLE’S PARTY
13. Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah, MNA — Water Resources
14. Syed Naveed Qamar, MNA — Trade and Commerce
15. Sherry Rehman, Senator — Climate Change
16. Abdul Qadir Patel, MNA — National Health
17. Shazia Marri, MNA — Poverty Alleviation
18. Syed Murtaza Mahmud, MNA — Industries
19. Sajid Hussain Turi, MNA — Overseas Pakistanis
20. Ehsaan-ur-Rehman Mazari, MNA — Human Rights
21. Abid Hussain Bhayo, MNA — Privatization
22. Asad Mahmood, MNA — Communication
23. Abdul Wasay, MNA — Housing
24. Mufti Abdul Shakoor, MNA — Religious Affair
25. Muhammad Talha Mahmood, Senator — States and Frontier Regions (Safron)
MUTTAHIDA QAUMI MOVEMENT
26. Syed Aminul Haque, MNA — Information Technology
27. Syed Faisal Ali Subzwari, Senator — Maritime Affairs
BALOCHISTAN AWAMI PARTY
28. Muhammad Israr Tareen, MNA — Defence Production
JAMHOORI WATAN PARTY
29. Nawabzada Shazain Bugti, MNA — Narcotics Controls
PAKISTAN MUSLIM LEAGUE-Q
30. Chaudhary Tariq Bashir Cheema, MNA — Food Security
MINISTERS OF STATE
1. Dr. Aisha Ghaus Pasha, MNA – PML-N — State Minister Finance
2. Hina Rabbani Khar, MNA – PPP — State Minister Foreign Affairs
3. Abdul Rehman Khan Kanju, MNA – PML-N
The formation of the cabinet had been a topic of intense discussion as the Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif failed to build a consensus among the allies for a week. This delayed the cabinet's formation by eight days.
The cabinet is likely to be expanded in the coming days.
SAMAA TV's Abbas Shabbir has reported that Awn Chaudhry, who was once a close aide of former Prime Minister Imran Khan, is being inducted in the cabinet as an adviser.
PPP's Qamar Zaman Kaira and PML-N's Amir Muqam will also be made advisers.
Chaudhry is part of the Tareen group, which include PTI members in the National and Punjab Assemblies. The group is led by Jahangir Khan Tareen.