Notes from the newsroom
Here are some of the stories we will be following today (Sunday):
- The Jamaat-e-Islami has organised a Palestine Solidarity rally in Karachi at 4pm.
- A Pakistan Army soldier was martyred in firing from across the Afghanistan border in North Waziristan.
- Power supply was restored in the majority of areas of Karachi before Saturday midnight. Earlier, K-Electric’s 220 kV Extra High Tension network tripped after which a power breakdown was reported. North Karachi, Golimaar, Korangi, Nazimabad, Al-Asif Square, Saddar, Shah Faisal, Landhi, Liaquatabad, Gulistan-e-Jauhar, Federal B Area, Clifton, Safoora, and DHA were plunged into darkness.
- The NCOC has instructed provinces not to open schools in areas with more than 5% coronavirus infection rate.
- Tourism across Pakistan will reopen from May 24 with strict SOPs.
- Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi will return to Pakistan from his visit to the US.
- The Sindh government has extended restrictions in the province for the next two weeks after Covid-19 cases rose.
- In the last 24 hours, 72 people died from the novel coronavirus across the country, while over 3,000 new cases were reported.